StepChange Debt Charity solutions. Practical help to becoming debt free
It’s important to find the best debt solution for you. That’s why your first step should always be to use our online Debt Remedy tool or call our Helpline.
Once we understand more about your debt problem we can suggest a plan of action tailored to you.
With over 20 years’ experience of providing debt advice, we offer a range of services and solutions to suit every situation. You can see some of them on the right.
Help us learn more about your circumstances and we can advise on the debt solution that’s right for you.
With a StepChange Debt Charity DMP we can help you repay your debts by making one affordable payment each month. A DMP is flexible, so the amount you pay can change depending on your circumstances. This solution is available across the UK.
Key DMP facts:
- Our DMPs are completely free. Every penny you send us goes towards paying off your debts
- In our experience, most cases your creditors will stop interest and charges
- We’ve helped people repay millions of pounds of debt on DMPs since 1993
Find out more about getting a DMP as well as the potential risks involved.
An IVA is a legally-binding agreement which can help you pay back a reduced amount to settle your debts, usually over five or six years. At the end of this time your remaining debt is written off. This solution is available in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Key IVA facts:
- You make one affordable payment to us each month and we send this to your creditors
- Our IVA fees are included in your monthly payment
- Your creditors can no longer contact you
Find out more about our IVAs and how the various risks may affect you.
A DRO might be right for you if you owe less than £20,000, have a low income and very few assets. If we advise that a DRO is the best solution for you, we can help you apply. This solution is available in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Key DRO facts:
- You don’t pay anything towards your debts for 12 months, after which your debts will be written off
- You pay a one-off fee to the Insolvency Service
- We can help and support you through the application process
Find out more about a DRO and the risks you must take into account.
Bankruptcy is a way of managing serious debt, particularly if you are unable to pay back the money you owe in a reasonable amount of time. This solution is available in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Key bankruptcy facts:
- Bankruptcy gives you a fresh start. All of your unsecured debts are written off
- You pay a one-off bankruptcy fee to the county court
- Bankruptcy will normally last for 12 months and will appear on your credit file for 6 years
Find out more about bankruptcy and the risks you’ll need to consider first