DECEMBER 2011 Debt Statistics
Total UK personal debt at the end of October 2011 stood at £1,451bn. Individuals owe nearly as much as the entire country produced in the four quarters between Q4 2010 and Q3 2011.
Total secured lending on dwellings at the end of October 2011 stood at £1,243bn.
Total consumer credit lending to individuals at the end of October 2011 was £208bn.
Net lending in October 2011 rose by £1.3bn; net secured lending increased by £1.3bn in the month; net consumer credit lending was broadly unchanged.
UK banks and building societies wrote off £7.6bn of loans to individuals in the 4 quarters to end Q3 2011. In Q3 2011 they wrote off £1.43bn (£716m of that was credit card debt). This amounts to a write-off of £15.68m a day.
Average household debt in the UK is ~ £7,984 (excluding mortgages). This figure increases to £15,353 if the average is based on the number of households who actually have some form of unsecured loan.
Average household debt in the UK is ~ £55,808 (including mortgages).
Average owed by every UK adult is ~ £29,539 (including mortgages). This is 122% of average earnings.
Average outstanding mortgage for the 11.2m households who currently have mortgages now stands at ~ £110,587.
Britain’s interest repayments on personal debt were £63.5bn in the last 12 months. The average interest paid by each household on their total debt is approximately £2,441 each year.
Average consumer borrowing via credit cards, motor and retail finance deals, overdrafts and unsecured personal loans was £4,226 per average UK adult at the end of October 2011.
The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) predicts that household debt will be £2,045.4bn in Q1 2017. This would take the average household debt to £78,669 per household (if the figure is based on the current estimate for the number of UK households).
- 331 people every day of the year will be declared insolvent or bankrupt. This is equivalent to 1 person every 60 seconds during a working day.
- Citizen Advice Bureaux dealt with 8,910 new debt problems every working day in England and Wales during the year ending June 2011.
- The average cost of raising a child from birth to the age of 21 is £27.50 a day.
- 101 properties were repossessed every day during Q3 2011
- 142 new people became unemployed for more than 12 months every day during the 12 months to end September 2011
- 1,611 people reported they had become redundant every day during 3 months to end September 2011
- £185,200,000 is the amount that the Government Public Sector Net Debt (PSDN), including financial interventions, will grow today (equivalent to £2,144 per second).
- £135,730,000 is the interest the Government has to pay each day on the UKs net debt of £2295.3bn (which includes financial interventions). This is estimated to rise to £182m a day in 2015-16.
- 193 mortgage possession claims will be issued and 153 mortgage possession orders will be made today
- 402 landlord possession claims will be issued and 274 landlord possession orders will be made today.
- The UK population is projected to grow by 1,205 people a day over the next decade
- 26.5m plastic card purchase transactions were made each day in September with a total value of £1.277bn.
- 8.0m cash withdrawals will be made today with a total value of £531m.
- The average car will cost £18.33 to run today
- It costs £66.85 on average to fill a car with a 50 litre tank with unleaded petrol
*Compiled by Credit Action, for full debt statistics visit www.creditaction.org.uk